Monday, May 10, 2010

Fashion Student's Winning T-Shirt Design On Sale In H&M Stores


Luqman Ali, a budding fashion & design student from Waltham Forest College is aspiring to become the next new label on the High Street. Luqman, otherwise known as Luke, was awarded first prize for his t-shirt design, as part of Project Blackbook for H&M. The design is on sale in every H&M store throughout the UK. He said, “Techno print is quite a common technique now in this industry – and as one of my portfolio pictures was very innovative, I decided it would work – I was confident it would win!”

Luke studied GCSE Textiles at school and then progressed to Waltham Forest College to study a BTEC National Diploma in Fashion and Clothing. Before Luke came to the College he was unsure about his future career. Luke comments “I came to enrolment week at Waltham Forest College and looked around and thought I would give it a chance. Now I love it because I can carry on with my progression and interest in Fashion.”

Luke has taken part in numerous fashion events such as the London Fashion Week, The Colleges Fashion Show, Alternative Fashion Week at Old Spitalfields Market, Fashion Ryot, and many more. These events together with his course, will take Luke to new heights. Luke added, “I love design and business studies because I feel these are my strongest skills and provide me with a firm understanding and knowledge of the industry.”

Luke is inspired by famous designers like Vivienne Westwood. He says, “She is amazing, she started the whole Check and Punk thing. I also really like Julian MacDonald for glamour and Christian Dior for the classic and sophisticated look. Japanese designer Yohji Yamamoto is very intelligent and portrays this in his design. I like the way he incorporates his culture into his designs.”

Luke’s experience at the College has been positive and helped him achieve his goals and aspire to strive for more. Luke says, “I have learned a lot and I feel like I have grown into a better person and more confident.”

Luke will move on to study a BA Hons in Fashion at Rochester University for the Creative Arts and eventually sees himself working for a small brand to establish and gain experience along the way. Ultimately he would like to have his own label.

No comments: